My aunt recently confessed that she thought she and her husband were too rigid in their faith when their children were younger. She said, “the kids would probably have gotten just as much from an occasional Sunday picnic as they did from attending church.” She recognized and admired that her adult children had more “balance” in their lives and more flexibility in raising her grandchildren.
My son had to go to church because I was a pastor and he couldn’t stay home alone. When I no longer preached every Sunday, we still attended regularly, but not religiously.
Why should you nurture faith in children?
1. The Creator of creation desires to be worshipped.
2. The Creator desires to be in relationship with humanity.
3. Church provides a disciplined avenue for worshipping and showing gratefulness to God.
4. Human beings were not meant to be alone.
5. A spiritual community is a great source of support and accountability.
6. Faith is a road map for the meaning of life, in all circumstances.
7. Through faith, we find hope and good news for all