Downright Personal asked an experienced counselor what people should consider in making a good decision about whether to break up or stay in their relationship. This is her response.
I would ask myself these questions:
1) do I experience some kind of healthy pleasure on a daily basis in this relationship?
2) am I part of the decision making equation in our relationship?
3) do I give, and receive respect in this relationship?
4) are my physical and emotional needs being met most of the time?
5) is there love, nurturing and support in this relationship?
6) is there enough trust that each of us can grow in this relationship?
The counselor concluded with this: If you answer no to all of these, or even one of them, consider evaluating the reasons you are in this relationship. If you have a hard time evaluating, please consider asking for help from your support system or a counselor. It’s hard to see your way out if you’re in the eye of the hurricane!