“When Bad Things Happen to Good People” was a popular book title in the 80s. It seems an appropriate title when Virginia and the country is reeling from the worst campus shooting in U.S. history.
Why do bad things happen to innocent people?
1. God allows nature to take its course, whether it be natural disasters, diseases or illness.
2. God allows human nature the freedom to act… deeds of good and bad.
3. Even though this freedom may cause great grief, God does not interfere.
4. Some people rationalize a tragedy away by saying that God wanted these loved ones more than their families.
5. Some people believe that through tragedy, God is trying to teach a lesson to the victims or their families. Granted, new learning and growth can occur from tragedy, but this is not the God I believe in.
After the drowning accident of his son, theologian William Barclay said, “on the day that the waters of the deep surrounded my son and snatched his life, God’s heart was breaking too.” This is how I view the tragic circumstances that happen to good people. In mercy and compassion, God’s heart is breaking when God’s children are in pain and sorrow. This loving God uplifts, comforts, brings hope and healing to all of those who despair. Our thoughts and prayers are with the good people of Virginia and their families.
dr pers ©2007