There are many reasons for adopting a child, these were mine.
1. My friends were adopting and recommended a nontraditional agency.
2. I was 30 years old, single and family oriented.
3. I owned a two story, 3 bedroom house, occupied by me, myself and I.
4. Established in my career with a masters degree.
6. Did I mention strong family values?
7. Open to new learning, experience and personal growth.
8. Ready to share my love with someone.
9. Believed I could make a difference in a child’s life and provide a loving home.
10. Searched for meaning and purpose beyond myself.
Whatever your reasons may be, it is important to be honest with yourself and have realistic expectations. A wise old woman once said to me, “parenting is the most difficult thing you’ll ever do, but also the most rewarding.” I held onto that thought for 23 years and recently attended my son’s wedding. I imagine someday I’ll be passing along the wise old woman’s advice! drpers © 2007